What to do if your cat or dog is lost.
1) Ring your local Veterinary Clinic. Tell them the pet's details including breed, sex and if desexed, colour, collars if any, and if microchipped. Give the clinic your phone numbers and the last place/time/date the pet was seen.
2) Call the local council pound and register the lost pet. Locally this would be the Logan City council and do the same with the RSCPA and the Animal Welfare League.
3) Call the local after hours emergency veterinary surgery. If a pet is injured and a good samaritan takes them to an afterhours vet they may not be close to your home but it is definitely worth checking. Our local After hours Hospital is the Animal Emergency Service at Underwood on 07 34231888.
4) Post on Facebook. For example try the Jimboomba and Surrounds Lost and Found and the Greenbank, New Beith and Jimboomba and Surrounds Lost and Found pages. Again include a photo, collar description, pet description, special needs, phone number to call/email address to email, reward if any, and the last place/time/date the pet was seen.
5) Check that the details on the pet’s microchip database are current and up to date for contact addresses and phone numbers and emails etc. Details could be in your pet's information folder, council registration papers, kennel club registration or on a veterinary vaccination certificate. If your pet is microchipped and you do not know the number or details, search your emails for microchip and the details may be archived there. Your own vet may also have the microchip number on file to search the database. Searches can only be made using the microchip number.
6) Post on your own Facebook, Instagram, and other Social Media accounts
7) Create a lost pet poster; you can print and post these around town, deliver them to pet related businesses in the area, put them on cars, etc
8) Don’t lose hope! Some pets return in hours, some days and occasionally years.
We always recommend microchipping your pet as a collar can be lost, but a microchip is forever, as long as the details are kept up to date.